From: Dowd Stukel, Eileen
Sent: Friday, November 05, 1999 2:00 PM
To: Kirk, John (GFP, Pierre); Ode, Dave; Backlund, Doug
Subject: FW: CARA ACTION ALERT

FYI.

-----Original Message-----
From: Naomi Edelson [mailto:nedelson at sso_org]
Sent: Friday, November 05, 1999 11:54 AM
To: teaming at sso_org
Subject: CARA ACTION ALERT

To All: Included in this email in the text and as attachments are three
things. 1) Action Alert, 2) List of House Resource Committee Members with
their tel, fax and email, and 3) email list in full of committee members
pull right into your email database.

GO GET 'EM!

**************PLEASE CIRCULATE WIDELY*******************

Action Alert

IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUESTED

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

The House Resources Committee is planning to mark-up CARA next
Wednesday,
Nov. 10!  This is the moment we've been waiting for! Congratulations to
Team
Teaming!

This is our chance to thank members of the Resources Committee who
support
CARA, reaffirm their support for the vote and ask for the support of
those
that are still uncommitted. Getting the bill out of committee with a
strong
vote of support is our immediate goal.  When this happens there are
probably
enough votes to pass it on the floor.

Most of the issues that have kept CARA bottled up have been resolved.
Chairman Don Young and Ranking Democrat George Miller are anxious to move
ahead.  We're at the critical juncture we've glimpsed for months on the
horizon. Now is the time to harness our collective energy and push CARA
over
the hump.

The wildlife title remains rather noncontroversial but it can not move
without the rest of the bill.  Unfortunately a handful of property rights
groups that primarily oppose additional Federal land acquisition as part
of
Title II have vowed to defeat CARA during mark-up.

Unless we express our support for CARA as loudly and passionately as
these
very activist groups, we may lose critical support.  Republican support
particularly will be essential to getting a successful vote out of
committee
and then bring the bill to the floor.

Our mission is clear, and time is short!

We need to convince all members of the Resources Committee to vote for
CARA.

We've all worked hard to get this far . . . let's roll up ourselves and
make
sure CARA receives the support it deserves.

The most important thing you can do is call, fax or e-mail members of the
Resources Committee and urge them to vote for CARA!  Attached is the list
of
members. Send this message to colleagues, friends and family in other
states
and encourage them to do the same.

Additionally, the Resources Committee is accepting comments via email at:
CARA at mail_house.gov . Let's make sure they hear loud and clear of our
support for the bill especially Title III.

Here are 10 reasons to support CARA:

1) CARA is the most sweeping and significant piece of conservation
legislation in half a century.

2) By providing increased funding for wildlife programs, CARA will reduce
the need for costly and disruptive endangered species listings.  It will
help ensure that common species remain common.

3) The bipartisan bill before the committee is the result of extensive
negotiations between Republican and Democratic leaders.  It is sensible,
moderate, consensus legislation!

4) CARA has the support of a huge coalition of businesses, conservation
groups, sportsmen's organizations, and municipal leaders.  Forty-nine
governors have expressed their support for the basic concepts in the
bill.

5) CARA keeps decision-making at the local and state level, not in D.C.

6) Sportsmen will no longer be the only ones contributing financially to
wildlife conservation programs.

7) CARA will provide much needed funding for greenbelts, playing fields,
trails, and neighborhood parks.  Outdoor recreation is essential for
healthy
families and boosts the quality of life for all Americans.

8) CARA will help protect and restore the nation's coastline.  It will
help
states and coastal communities mitigate the impacts of offshore oil and
other types of development.

9)  More than 125 members of the House and 21 members of the Senate are
cosponsoring CARA.  CARA's time has come!

10)   CARA provides a way to invest revenues from the depletion of the
nation's oil reserves into something of lasting value for all Americans.

PLEASE ACT NOW TO MAKE SURE CARA BECOMES A REALITY!

Call, e-mail or fax as many members of the Resources Committee as
possible.
Tell them why you support CARA.  Pass this message on to as many people
as
you know.  If you have friends or family in states with Resource
Committee
members, please send them this message.

On the next page is the contact information you need.

DON'T SIT BACK.  NOW IS THE TIME TO TAKE THIS STEP FOR WILDLIFE.  Future
generations will thank us for having worked so hard to pass this landmark
bill.  If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call Naomi or
Sara at IAFWA at 202-624-7890.

***
************

HOUSE RESOURCES COMMITTEE

** extra priority
 * priority

 Republicans

Don Young, AK, Chairman
Phone: (202) 225-5765
Fax: (202) 225-0425
Email: don.young at mail_house.gov

W.J. (Billy) Tauzin, LA
Phone: (202) 225-4031
Fax: (202) 225-0563
Email: http://www.house.gov/writerep/

James V. Hansen, UT
Phone: (202) 225-0453
Fax: (202) 225-5857
Email: http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Jim Saxton, NJ
Phone: (202) 225-4765
Fax: (202) 225-0778
Email: jim.saxton at mail_house.gov

*Elton Gallegly, CA
Phone: (202) 225-5811
Fax: (202) 225-1100
Email: http://www.house.gov/writerep/

John J. Duncan, Jr., TN
Phone: (202) 225-5435
Fax: (202) 225-6440
Email: jjduncan at hr_house.gov

**Joel Hefley, CO
Phone: (202) 225-4422
Fax: (202) 225-1942
Email: http://www.house.gov/writerep/

*John T. Doolittle, CA
Phone: (202) 225-2511
Fax: (202) 225-5444
Email: dolittle at mail_house.gov

Wayne T. Gilchrest, MD
Phone: (202) 225-5311
Fax: (202) 225-0254
Email: http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Ken Calvert, CA
Phone: (202) 225-1986
Fax: (202) 225-2004
Email: http://www.house.gov/writerep/

*Richard W. Pombo, CA   (µµ)
Phone: (202) 225-1947
Fax: (202) 225-3402
Email: rpombo at mail_house.gov

Barbara Cubin, WY
Phone: (202) 225-2311
Fax: (202) 225-3057
Email: barbara.cubin at mail_house.gov

Helen Chenoweth-Hage, ID
Phone: (202) 225-6611
Fax: (202) 225-3029
Email: askhelen at hr_house.gov

**George Radanovich, CA   (µµ)
Phone: (202) 225-4540
Fax: (202) 225-3402
Email: george at hr_house.gov

Walter B. Jones, NC
Phone: (202) 225-3415
Fax: (202) 225-3286
Email: congjones at mail_house.gov

**Mac Thornberry, TX
Phone: (202) 225-3706
Fax: (202) 225-3486
Email: http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Chris Cannon, UT
Phone: (202) 225-7751
Fax: (202) 225-5629
Email: cannon.ut03 at mail_house.gov

Kevin Brady, TX
Phone: (202) 225-4901
Fax: (202) 225-5524
Email: rep.brady at mail_house.gov

**John E. Peterson, PA
Phone: (202) 225-5121
Fax: (202) 225-5796
Email: john.peterson at mail_house.gov

**Rick Hill, MT
Phone: (202) 225-3211
Fax: (202) 225-5687
Email: rick.hill at mail_house.gov

*Bob Schaffer, CO
Phone: (202) 225-4676
Fax: (202) 225-5870
Email: rep.schaffer at mail_house.gov

Jim Gibbons, NV
Phone: (202) 225-6155
Fax: (202) 225-5629
Email: mail.gibbons at mail_house.gov

Mark E. Souder, IN
Phone: (202) 225-4436
Fax: (202) 235-3497
Email: souder at hr_house.gov

Greg Walden, OR
Phone: (202) 225-6730
Fax: (202) 225-5774
Email: greg.walden at mail_house.gov

Don Sherwood, PA
Phone: (202) 225-3731
Fax: (202) 225-9594
Email: http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Robin Hayes, NC
Phone: (202) 225-3715
Fax: (202) 225-4036
Email: robin.hayes at mail_house.gov

Michael K. Simpson, ID
Phone: (202) 225-5531
Fax: (202) 225-8216
Email: mike.simpson at mail_house.gov

Thomas G. Tancredo, CO
Phone: (202) 225-7882
Fax: (202) 226-4623
Email: Tom.Tancredo at mail_house.gov

Democrats

George Miller, CA
Phone: (202) 225-2095
Fax: (202) 225-5609
Email: gmiller at hr_house.gov

Nick J. Rahall II, WV
Phone: (202) 225-3452
Fax: (202) 225-9061
Email: nrahall at hr_house.gov

Bruce F. Vento, MN
Phone: (202) 225-6631
Fax: (202) 225-1968
Email: vento at hr_house.gov

Dale E. Kildee, MI
Phone: (202) 225-3611
Fax: (202) 225-6393
Email: dkildee at hr_house.gov

Peter A. DeFazio, OR
Phone: (202) 225-6416
Fax: (202) 225-0373
Email: pdefazio at hr_house.gov

Eni F. H. Faleomavaega, AS
Phone: (202) 225-8577
Fax: (202) 225-8757
Email: faleomavaega at mail_house.gov

Neil Abercrombie, HI
Phone: (202) 225-2726
Fax: (202) 225-4580
Email: neil at abercrombie_house.gov

Solomon P. Ortiz, TX
Phone: (202) 225-7742
Fax: (202) 226-1134
Email: http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Owen B. Pickett, VA
Phone: (202) 225-4215
Fax: (202) 225-4218
Email: opickett at hr_house.gov
Frank Pallone, Jr., NJ
Phone: (202) 225-4671
Fax: (202) 225-9665
Email: frank.pallone at mail_house.gov

Calvin M. Dooley, CA
Phone: (202) 225-3341
Fax: (202) 225-9308
Email: http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Carlos A. Romero-Barceló, PR
Phone: (202) 225-2615
Fax: (202) 225-2154
Email: http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Robert A. Underwood, GU
Phone: (202) 225-1188
Fax: (202) 226-0341
Email: guamtodc at hr_house.gov

Patrick J. Kennedy, RI
Phone: (202) 225-4911
Fax: (202) 225-3290
Email: patrick.kennedy at mail_house.gov

Adam Smith, WA
Phone: (202) 225-8901
Fax: (202) 225-3484
Email: adam.smith at mail_house.gov

Christopher John, LA
Phone: (202) 225-2031
Fax: (202) 225-8976
Email: christopher.john at mail_house.gov

Donna MC Christensen, VI
Phone: (202) 225-1790
Fax: (202) 225-3171
Email: donna.green at mail_house.gov

Ron Kind, WI
Phone: (202) 225-5506
Fax: (202) 225-5739
Email: ron.kind at mail_house.gov

Jay Inslee, WA
Phone: (202) 225-6311
Fax: (202) 226-1606
Email: jay.inslee at mail_house.gov

Grace F. Napolitano, CA
Phone: (202) 225-5256
Fax: (202) 225-0027
Email: grace at mail_house.gov

Tom Udall, NM
Phone: (202) 225-6190
Fax: (202) 226-1331
Email: tom.udall at mail_house.gov

Mark Udall, CO
Phone: (202) 225-2161
Fax: (202) 226-7840
Email: http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Joseph Crowley, NY
Phone: (202) 225-3965
Fax: (202) 225-1909
Email: write2joecrowley at mail_house.gov

Rush D. Holt, NJ
Phone: (202) 225-5801
Fax: (202) 225-6025
Email: rush.holt at mail_house.gov

***
***********

HOUSE RESOURCES COMMITTEE email list to cut and paste. Please remember,
for
maximum effectiveness, if you send a group list you should blind carbon
copy
it so that they do not see it as a group list.

You are encouraged to contact EACH MEMBER OF THE COMMITTEE.

don.young at mail_house.gov
jim.saxton at mail_house.gov
jjduncan at hr_house.gov
dolittle at mail_house.gov