NFC: Fw: EDF_Action_Network alert: Help Save the South Atlantic Sargassum!

From: EDF at ACTIONNETWORK_ORG
To: robertrice at juno_com
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 23:51:57 GMT
Subject: EDF_Action_Network alert: Help Save the South Atlantic
Sargassum!

You can take action on this alert either on the web or by email.

Here's what this alert is about:

Help Save the South Atlantic Sargassum!
----------------------

TO: All EDF Southeast Regional Activists
FROM: Douglas N. Rader and Michelle Duval, EDF Ocean Program
DATE: October 22, 1999
SUBJECT: Help Save the South Atlantic Sargassum!

Floating sargassum seaweed serves as the keystone habitat (a
habitat than an entire ecosystem relies on) for many of the South
Atlantic's fisheries (dolphin, billfish, jacks, snappers, and
many others), as well as a critical habitat for sea turtles and
many other species. The federal South Atlantic Fishery Management
Council has acted to protect all floating sargassum within its
jurisdiction, but now the National Marine Fisheries Service
(NMFS) has stated that it will reject that action and allow the
sargassum harvest to continue. Your letter can help prevent this
unconscionable rejection of the fishery management process and
the environmental damage that will result.

The South Atlantic Council has tried to design the best possible
approach to protect this important living resource. The National
Marine Fisheries Service's regional office participated actively
in this process and, indeed, voted in favor of the council's
final fishery management plan, which phases out all harvest of
the floating sargassum. (As an actively but minimally exploited
species and a "fish" under the law, sargassum is appropriately
managed through a fishery management plan.) Nonetheless, despite
their active participation, high-level NMFS officials have
signaled to the council their intention to reject the plan.

The NMFS's intended action will seriously delay and very likely
reduce the protection of this critical organism. Please act--
before the October 25 deadline--to register your disappointment
that the federal government would block the South Atlantic
Council's carefully considered decision and allow the harvest of
this critical habitat species to continue. You can use the sample
letter below or compose your own and send it to the National
Marine Fisheries Service by following the enclosed instructions.

Thank you for your help in protecting and restoring our critical
and imperiled fisheries!

PS: If you want more information about this issue please contact
Michelle_Duval at edf_org Thank you again.

----------------------

INSTRUCTIONS TO RESPOND VIA THE WEB:
If you have access to a web browser, you can take action on this
alert by going to the following URL:

http://actionnetwork.org/take-action.tcl?key=147997A2068B940636317C31884

INSTRUCTIONS TO RESPOND VIA EMAIL:
Responding via email to this alert is easy.  Just choose the "reply to
sender" option on your email program, and edit the letter below as you
wish.  If your email program does not have a "reply to sender" option,
you can copy and paste the letter below into a new email message and
mail it to alert-response-147997A2068B940636317C31884 at actionnetwork_org.

You must include the whole letter in your response starting with
"-YOU MAY EDIT THE LETTER BELOW-" and ending with "-END OF LETTER-".

We STRONGLY encourage you to make edits directly to our sample letter
below, and put the alert talking points into your own words. An
individualized letter is worth ten computer generated letters. Of
course, hundreds of unedited letters will still create a large impact,
so please reply even if you don't have time to personalize the letter.

Your letter will be addressed and sent to:
Mr. William Hogart

-------YOU MAY EDIT THE LETTER BELOW---------

I am writing to urge you in the strongest possible terms to
accept the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council's plan to
protect the floating sargassum. A different approach would result
in an inexcusable delay in protecting this important organism.
I do not believe that managing sargassum as an "essential fish
habitat" in a way that allows its continued harvest can
adequately protect either the sargassum or the wide array of
fishes and protected species that depend on it.

The SAFMC carefully considered all options when drawing up the
proposed fishery management plan and its phaseout of the
sargassum's harvest. I support that plan and ask you to move as
quickly as possible to endorse it and to issue the rules needed
to enforce it. If you do reject the proposed plan, however, I ask
that you move expeditiously to approve a phaseout of all harvest
of the floating sargassum under the essential fish habitat
program.

Thank you for your consideration.

If you would like to be removed from the EDF_Action_Network Network list,
please
visit http://actionnetwork.org/home.tcl?key=147997A2068B940636317C31884
or else respond to this email with "REMOVE" as the subject line. Be sure
to include the entire text of this message in your response.