Re: NFC: Suggestions needed

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999 15:00:01 -0500 (CDT), mcclurg luke e wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
>  I will be writing a paper in Ecology this semester and was planning on
> doing it on the effects of dams on Pacific Northwest Salmon populations.
> Does anyone have any recent research material they can recommend?
>

> Luke McClurg

Luke,

I did a little electronic research for salmon and dams and came up with the
following journal articles:

Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, "Physiological effects of
collecting and transporting emigrating juvenile chinook salmon past dams on
the Columbia River," v. 117 (May '88), pg 245-61, Maule, Alec G.; Schreck,
Carl B.; Bradford, C. Samuel.

Amicus Journal, "A Damned Shame," v. 19 (Fall '97), pg 7

Fisheries, "Breaching dams is best alternative to recover salmon, says
report," v. 24 no.2 (Feb '99)

Science, "As salmon stage disappearing act, dams may too.," v. 284 no. 541 4
(Apr 23, '99), Lovett, Richard A.

Engineering News-Record (or Engineering Record or ENR), "Dams: Corps pushes
design of temperature control towers to save dwindling chinook salmon run in
Oregon," v. 240 no. 19 (May 11, '99)

Washington Law Review, "SYMPOSIUM ON SALMON RECOVERY - The Role of Rights in
Benefit Cost Methodology: The Example of Salmon and Hydroelectric Dams," v.
74 no. 3 (1999), pg 763, Zerbe Jr, Richard O; Graham, Linda J

Environmental Law, "SYMPOSIUM ON WATER LAW - Saving Snake River Water and
Salmon Simultaneously: The Biological, Economic, and Legal Case for
Breaching the Lower Snake River Dams, Lowering John Day Reservoir, and
Restoring Natural River Flows," v. 28 no. 4 (1998), pg 997, Blumm, Michael
C; Lucas, Laird J; Miller, Don B; Rohlf, Daniel J; Spain, Glen H

ICES Journal of Marine Science, "Comparison of hydroacoustic and net catch
estimates of Pacific salmon smolt (Oncorhynchus spp.) passage at hydro-power
dams in the Columbia River Basin, USA," v. 53 no. 2 (1996), pg 447, Ransom,
B H; Steig, T W; Nealson, P A

Waterpower: conference procedings (?), "Comparison of the Effectiveness of
Surface Flow and Deep Spill for Bypassing Pacific Salmon Smolts
(Oncorhynchus Spp.) at Columbia River Basin Hydropower Dams," v. 1 (1995),
Ransom, B. H.; Steig, T. W.

Lake and Reservoir Management, "Review of Spring and Summer Spill
Effectiveness for Juvenile Salmon and Steelhead at Various Columbia and
Snake River Dams 1983-1992," v. 9 no. 1 (1994), pg 154, Steig, T.W.

The Northwest Environmental Journal, "The Effect of Climate Change on Stream
Environments: The Salmonid Resource of the Columbia River Basin," v. 7 no. 2
(Fall '91), pg. 271-94, Neitzel, D. A.; Scott, M. J.; Shankle, S. A.;
Chatters, J. C.

I don't know if these will have any of the information you're looking for or
not, but I hope they help.

I am also looking for research on the impact of exotics in Florida. If
anybody knows of any sources, PLEASE let me know. Thanks.

Tony Gustafson
DeKalb, IL
The only problem with the gene pool is
there is no lifeguard.