NFC: Exotics in Ohio - Gambusia

Had a beautiful outing with Mrs (Dr) Binkley yesterday on the bike path in
Granville Ohio.  I succeeded in leading her off the beaten path and down
along Racoon Creek.  In a back channel that had been reduced to shallow
pools, I noticed some small topminnows/toothcarps.  After repeated and
amusing attempts to splash one out of the water by hand, I finally found
some in a pool so small and shallow that I was able to grab one.  Gambusia!
Just as I suspected!  These are not native to Ohio, and to my knowledge do
not overwinter without a warm water source.  So these guys must have been
released this year or have found a way to survive in this creek.

Mark Binkley
Columbus Ohio USA            <))><
mbinkley at earthling_net