NFC: DP locating larger diversity of fish

Being limited on time and a creature of habit, I often collect the same
streams.  Over the weekend I collected several (mostly so far unidentified)
fish near Brookville, Indiana.  This area is about 25 miles from the Ohio
River.  I also observed collecting earlier this year with Bill Flowers a
wider diversity of fish in a couple of his spots close or in the White River.
 My normal spots are much further away from large rivers.

My question is this:  is there normally a greater diversity of fish species
the closer you get to a large river?  All comments and observations
appreciated.

Chuck Church
Indianapolis, Indiana USA