Re: NFC: Live Gammarus Anyone?

At 11:38 AM +0000 9/18/99, Segeberger wrote:
>There used to be a trout hatchery on the grounds at the Blue hole.  Is
>it still there? It was a tourist trap last I saw.  Absolutely no fish at
>all in the blue  hole itself but a mass of aquatic plants.... a truely
>beautiful site. At the spring exit there were a series of weirs and
>aerators which oxygenated the water.  Just below the weirs were gobs and
>gobs of trout.

Didn't get in to see the hatchery.  Did stop at the bridge and saw lots of
trout in the creek.  There is some sort of facility there, but don't know
if it's in operation.  I was there late Saturday evening.

> The area is also home to a state endangered killifish species.

Is that F diaphanous menona?

>Those gammarus seem interesting.  Let me know when you are going next.

Let me know when you would like to go.  I plan to go back to get more for
my fish and for anyone else who wants some.

>The local farmers may be somewhat resistant since Cichlid people have
>been raiding the local area for tuffa rocks for decades.

Huh.  Would like to see some of that rock.

>I would also like to sample the upper mad river system for Clinostomus
>and Phoxinus ....any interest out there?

Yeah.  Always looking for a new collecting site.

Mark Binkley
Columbus Ohio USA            <))><
mbinkley at earthling_net

Follow-Ups: References: