NFC: Live Gammarus Anyone?

There used to be a trout hatchery on the grounds at the Blue hole.  Is
it still there? It was a tourist trap last I saw.  Absolutely no fish at
all in the blue  hole itself but a mass of aquatic plants.... a truely
beautiful site. At the spring exit there were a series of weirs and
aerators which oxygenated the water.  Just below the weirs were gobs and
gobs of trout.
 The area is also home to a state endangered killifish species.

Those gammarus seem interesting.  Let me know when you are going next.

The local farmers may be somewhat resistant since Cichlid people have
been raiding the local area for tuffa rocks for decades.

I would also like to sample the upper mad river system for Clinostomus
and Phoxinus ....any interest out there?

Klaus

-> Went to Cedar Point last weekend and stopped in Castalia Ohio on the
-> way. Castalia is home of the Blue Hole, a bottomless pit that is full
-> of water - I've never seen it.  Anyway, there's a cold spring that
-> runs through town on the surface for a ways.  We happened to stop
-> right next to it and take a look.  The stream is about 20 foot wide
-> and 2 foot deep.  It has healthy growths of algae and aquatic mosses.
-> There seemed to be some kinds of sedentary invertebrates that I did
-> not recognize.  The most striking thing about the creek, though, was
-> the apparent absence of fishes and the incredible abundance of
-> Gammarus shrimps or scuds.  They were everywhere! Some were pretty
-> big, maybe 25 to 30 mm.  So I'm thinking, Hey!  Live fish
-> food!  Haven't been back to try any out yet. Just need an excuse.
-> :)

-> Mark Binkley
-> Columbus Ohio USA            <))><
-> mbinkley at earthling_net