NFC: basic Sunfish aquarium set up and feeding questions

Over the weekend I caught several 3" to 6" sunfish (including two beautiful
long ear).  I put them in a 40 gallon aquarium with a couple of others.

1)  What type of basic aquarium set up will they do best in?  Do they need
hiding
     places?  So far, just a little chasing of each other in spite of size
difference.

2)  Can I put them in a planted aquarium?

3)  Feeding tips needed.  Do all sunfish eventually learn to
     take flake food and cichlid pellets?