Re: NFC: Fw: [currents] RiverCurrents Online -- Week of August 6, 1999

I have come to know a couple of farmers over the years who used to raise
hogs, never on a large scale basis, but enough to make a nice profit. In the
last decade, they and their peers have had to stop raising hogs due to large
scale mass production of pork by giant corporations.

My question is, if regulations were enacted to bring hog raising back to the
small farmers, would the effects of waste removal still be a major detriment
to the local water systems, or would the smaller scale waste loads make a
lesser impact?

Tony Gustafson

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999 16:58:20 -0400, robert a rice wrote:
> In an effort to protect drinking water, the Kansas Dept. of Health and
> Environment will require hog farms with more than 10,000 animals to line
> waste pits with plastic to keep manure out of groundwater supplies. As
> reports the Wichita Eagle (8/3), environmentalists and water supply
> managers
> welcome the move, but fear it doesn=92t go far enough since many of the
h=
> og
> farms threatening heavily populated areas are medium sized farms which
> are
> not impacted by the new requirements. Large facilities do not normally
> locate near heavily-populated areas. On the other side of the coin, hog
> producers say the action goes too far and that =93there is no evidence
th=
> at
> hog farms pollute and the action by the secretary of Kansas Department of
> Health and Environment is unnecessary.=94 The issue is a hot one in
Kansa=