Re: NFC: [Fwd: Peltier Junctions]

What about sticking a couple to a piece of aluminum and then attaching it
with thermal grease to the bottom of the tank?  The sheet of aluminum
could then be insulated with a piece of foam or something to prevent heat
loss from the sheet of aluminum to the air, in essence, "forcing the cold
into the tank". Heat sinks could then be attached to the bottom "hot side"
of the peltiers with a couple fans to remove the heat.  Also, I saw an
article on processor cooling that enclosed a heat sink in steel from a
coke can, creating an "enclosed heat sink".  It was used in the article to
remove heat from the hot side of the TE, but it could concievably be used
to create an "external chiller" where the aquarium water is pumped over
the cold side of the device and then flows back to the tank.  In case
anyone is interested, the address is
"http://www.overclockers.com/tips13/".  I HAVE NOT tried this, I just
submit it for people who might be interested.  I have, however, been
thinking about it.
Melcor itself makes a similar device, known as a liquid heat exchanger.
It can be seen at "http://www.melcor.com/liquid.htm"  The only thing that
worries me about this is the copper construction.  Might not be the best
thing for the tank water.  Come to think of it, would aluminum be any
better?  What is the toxcicity and/or soluability of copper in fresh
water?

Anyway, I think that's about all of my ramblings for now.  Again, I have
not tried any of this stuff, it's still in the floats around in my head
when i try to sleep stage.  I hope to get some feedback on this.

HTH,
David

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, D. Martin Moore wrote:

> > 64*1.7 = 109 W.  This will probably require a heat sink and fan on the hot
> > side of the Peltier junction.  I haven't yet figured out how the heat
> > might be drawn out of the water on the cold side.  Any ideas?
>
> Stick 'em to the bottom glass with heat sink compound, I guess.
>

> Prost,
>
> Martin

> Greater American Freshwater Fishes Resource Site (GAFFeRs):  http://www.localink4.com/~archimedes/
>
> "Fie on thee, fellow!  Whence come these fishes?" - Scheherazade
>
> "Any fish with good teeth is liable to use them." - Wm. T. Innes

Follow-Ups: References: