NFC: Re: pond renovation

hello Larry,

The buckets were no lid 5 gallon buckets with old cinder blocks, rock
whatever to make em sinc...I punched 3-4 holes in all of
them....Crayfish...try a bait shop.....or a seafood market...red swampers
are native to lots of texas ...as for plants I prefer giant vals or eel
grass you can purchase them for 129$ a thousand from spandler
nurserys...the do wildlife rehab stuff....1800-553-5771  .....get their
free catalog it is cool

On Sun, 25 Jul 1999 15:56:10 -0500 powerbiz at iname_com writes:
>Hi --
>
>I read of your restoration and would LOVE to do the same with my 2.5
>acre pond.
>
>Filimentatious algae mats extend 15 feet or so from the bank all
>around. I keep reading about barley straw, salt blocks, etc., but no
>definitive answers on whether they're safe or effective. Using
>Cutrine+ killed some of it, so now the dead algae has sunk below the
>surface, smelly and soaking up oxygen.
>
>I was goin to get some grass carps, but after reading what you wrote,
>looks like maybe plants are my friend, not my enemy! How can I
>determine what would be beneficial plants for my central Texas pond?
>
>Also, all the crawfish I see commercially around here are imported
>from either the coast or Louisiana. Any suggestions on how I can track
>down "local" crawfish?
>
>Thanks for your help and inspiration!
>
>Larry
>
>P.S. Your sunken buckets - did you have lids for them??

Robert Rice
Help Preserve our Aquatic Heritage join the Native Fish Conservancy
online
 at our website http://www.nativefish.org