Limnology Was "Re: NFC: Fw: Yes, please help me.

I think it is different for every lake.  Usually, however, it parallels
the rapid change in temperature (thermocline), as this tends to form a
diffusion barrier between oxygen rich water at the surface (epilimnion)
and the oxygen poor water near the substrate (hypolimnion).

On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, D. Martin Moore wrote:

> Dazzle, at what depth does the water become anoxic?
>
> > This brings up an interesting question.  For my whole life, I assumed that
> > deep water in lakes was a cool refuge for fish in the summer.  However,
> > last semester, when I took limnology, I was taught that the deep wter in
> > lakes (below the thermocline where it is cool) has virtually no oxygen.
> > Lab testing backed this up.  So, according to this, a shallow lake would
> > not be at a disadvantage to a deep lake in the summer.  In fact, when
> > lakes turn over in spring and fall, deep lakes often experience fish kills
> > due to the mixing of the oxygen-poor deep water with the rest of the lake.
> > Now, I am far from an expert on this, so I will gladly accept
> > comments/questions/criticizms.  What does everybody think?
> FWIW, David
>
> Prost,
>
> Martin

> Greater American Freshwater Fishes Resource Site (GAFFeRs):  http://www.localink4.com/~archimedes/
>
> "Fie on thee, fellow!  Whence come these fishes?" - Scheherazade
>
> "Any fish with good teeth is liable to use them." - Wm. T. Innes

Follow-Ups: References: