NFC: Gar and returning fish to the wild

In a message dated 6/19/99 8:09:12 PM US Central Standard Time,
eagle at on-net_net writes:

<<         Well I dont know if it would be a good idea to introduce florida
gar to a  lake so does anyone know if there are any gar in indiana?      >>

Jeremy:

I've caught gar just east of you in Sugar Creek, Hancock County a couple of
years ago.  I've also heard they are plentiful in the Whitewater River near
Brookville, Indiana and near Seymour, Indiana.  I've seen them once in the
Wildcat just east of Lafayette, Indiana.  I'm looking for some too if you
find a good location.

Due to the potential of spreading disease and parasites as well as otherwise
disrupting the ecosystem, I'm pretty well convinced stocking fish is best
done in conjunction with suitably trained experts.  From what I have learned
on the lists, I now never return fish to the wild, even to the original
capture point.  Any of you more experienced or formally trained folks care to
expand on this subject?

Chuck Church
Indianapolis, Indiana USA