Re: NFC: Re: Darter tanks and other stuff

Chris...
Hope you have MEGA floors to support 700 gallons!

 end
 ><>
 J. L. Wiegert                                    ICQ UIN: 1918889
 New Web Page Up and Coming!                      AIM  ID: Etheosoma
 http://nativefish.interspeed.net    --           NFC's Web Page
 the body (e.g., subscribe nfc, subscribe fwl).  Feel free to ask for
 help!

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Chris Hedemark wrote:

> Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 10:58:06 -0400
> From: Chris Hedemark <hedemark at raleigh_ibm.com>
> To: nfc at actwin_com
> Subject: Re: NFC: Re: Darter tanks and other stuff
>
> Jim Colburn wrote:
>
> > >I make tanks from plywood and epoxy, I have some more than 20 years old and
> > >still going.  Yes, it can be expensive, it only really saves money when you
> > >make a really large tank 100gal.+. The up side is that you can make a tank
> > >that conforms to your fish husbandry needs.
> >         Wow!  That expense might be worth it.  My methods, using sheet acrylic for
> > a liner, were developed to reduce expense and increase speed.  As a fringe
> > benefit, they also allow a price break on smaller tanks.  I personally
> > wouldn't build a tank < 30 gallons, unless I needed to fit a particular
> > place or purpose.   But I wouldn't buy a 40 breeder-I know I can build one
> > using materials on hand for around $10.
>
> Can you point me to any resources for building very large aquaria?  When
> we build the house I would very much like to have a huge display tank,
> on the order of 700 gallons or so.  Most of the prices I've seen boggle
> the mind and wallet and I'd have to think it would be cheaper if only
> the front face was viewable (which is the only side I really care about
> anyway).
>
> >         But there are a couple factors to consider.  It really helps if you have
> > tools, a workshop, and some experience building things.  (Having said that,
> > I should point out that a friend of mine built a 4' long tank in his dorm
> > room, using only an electric drill.  He had the plywood cut at a lumber
> > yard to fit the glass he had.)
>
> Last summer I went out to the NCSU "Fish Barn" where they experiment on
> new methods of intensive aquaculture.  The tank I saw was a yellow perch
> tank, measuring I think about 20 feet diameter.  The thing was
> constructed entirely of dimensional lumber and plywood, with a PVC
> liner.  HUGE tank.  No viewable sides (except from above), but if you
> ever wanted to grow out a monster bowfin, this is the tank to do it in.
> ;-)

Follow-Ups: References: