RE: NFC: Re: Darter tanks and stuff

Jim, I'm also in the process of building a large tank.  I have a piece of
glass already, acquired for free, that measures 5' X 32" tall, and 5/8"
thick. I was planning to make the tank 2' wide.  I was thinking about using
formica inside.  Is this feasable in your opinion?  I know a few guys who
have used it, but their tanks are only like a year old now.  I don't think
they have had any problems with it so far.   Is it possible to use acrylic
to line the plywood and still use the glass for the front panel? Thanks,
 Ron
 ----------
>From: Jim Colburn
>To: ANDERSON; NFC
>Subject: NFC: Re: Darter tanks and stuff
>Date: Saturday, May 22, 1999 20:30

>    Having built a number of large tanks for aquaculture, I can give you
some
advice.  For starters, I'd use 1/2" acrylic as a minimum for the front.  A
>piece of glass that size is very awkward to work with.  Very awkward.  As
in, "OOPS!".
>    Also, rather than sealing the plywood with (expensive) epoxy, consider
building the box and applying a face lamination of thin (cheap) acrylic.
>For the size tank you are talking about, $20-30 should cover it.
     I use this order of operations: cut plywood to size; assemble box with
>glue and screws, finish the outside; cut a piece of thin acrylic to size of
bottom less 1/4" (if the inside measurement of the bottom is 5' x 1', I cut
>the acrylic to 4'11 3/4" by 11 3/4"); contact cement the acrylic in place
so there is a 1/8" space all around the bottom; do the same for the back
>and ends; cut the front to fit with the same 1/8" gap at bottom and ends
(but the top should run all the way to the top); seal the front in place
>following the procedure everyone writes about; seal interior joints.
     I use a sealer called "GOOP" for all sealing operations.  By actual
tests,
>I have found it to be aquarium safe and long lasting.  With acrylic, I
usually scuff the area to be joined with 400 grit emery cloth (but the
>times I've forgotten have worked out fine).  I double seal each joint-apply
the sealer so it goes 1/4" on each side of the edge and let it dry, then go
>back and do it again 3/8" wide.
     Don't forget to tie the top together-for a tank the size you are
talking
>about, I would use two ties across the top-dividing the top into thirds.
     In 1992, I built a huge tank for a friend-2' x 3' x 20'-it runs around