Re: NFC: Re: California

			It seems to me that we as a Conservation organization
have more to offer the people and potential NFC members of California or
anywhere for that matter, than the use of wild caught fish to adorn thier
aquariums.  We are conservationists first, aquarist and whatever else after.
Please do not mistake this communication for a rant. It is simply offering
another view to the ongoing subject thread of California. If one or all
disagree with that states legislation in it's concern for native fish, then
contact the appropriate legislators and make your views known.  Perhaps open
thier eyes a bit to the possibilities.  And do not think your voice goes
unheard.  You are why they have the laws in first place.
			Perhaps there are other ways to be active in
conservation of the aquatic rescourses of California that do not require the
removal or transportation of wild fish.
Collecting and releasing from a specific site and documenting and monitoring
the populations in the wild for instance. The info could be collected and
maintained on our website for everyones benifit.  A site  could be a place as
simple as a drainage all but forgotten.  Or if you know of a stream or other
body in danger of being destroyed or polluted, speak out.  ACTIVATE   And
this is with the young people from 4-H or whatever group.  They are the
future of conservation, encourage, empower, entice.  We're not just members
of XYZ, but here because we believe in the future and want an active part in
steering it.  California has taken a hardline appoach in response to problems
as they arise.  Perhaps we should be considering what we can do to get ahead
of the game and prepare for those problems before they happen since we, the
human element, are responsible for most the problems in our environment.  We
are volunteers in this effort and we do not expect anyone to take this on
24/7.......except Robert    : P..........  and nothing we do is too little,
only all too often too late.

Daryl Roche
Exotic Removal Program
Administrator, NFC