Re: NFC: Flagfish

The local Petsmart carries them they retail for $1.59  in the Chicago area.
Every summer I
put them in a pond in my backyard and they do rather well.  I put a
combination of sand
and small pebble bottom a half dozen or so clay flower pots and leave them
alone at the
end of summer generally late October I collect 80 or 90 fish. I've found
that by putting in
water lettuce or water hyacinth that gives them the top cover and spawning
media that they like. For a treat I drop in a few earthworms or the odd net
of daphnia I've been doing this for several years now and have had no
problem maintaining my stock.
Ken Mysliwiec

Christian C Burke wrote:

> I recently purchased some Flagfish (Jordanella floridae) from a local
> fish store.  These are beautiful, stubby, little killies native to the
> Florida peninsula.
>
> I had never seen these fish for sale in a store, but perhaps this is due
> to my western location.  I got the impression from the storekeeper that
> they didn't sell very well, as they were not as "pretty" as the platies
> and swordtails in the adjacent tanks...  Whatever.  Just bag 'em and tag
> 'em, please!
>
> These are stunning fish.  The females have a handsome snakeskin sort of
> pattern, and the males have bright orange horizontal stripes.  I was
> particulary attracted to them because they reminded me of the sheepshead
> minnows I used to catch in Maryland, but more colorful.
>
> I haven't heard any mention about these fish on the list.  Does anyone
> else see them for sale in stores?  Perhaps they more common than I
> realize?  Does anyone have any experience they would like to share about
> these little guys?
>
> CCB

> Christian C. Burke
> http://home.att.net/~cburke.fish-head
> mailto:cburke.fish-head at worldnet_att.net

Follow-Ups: References: