NFC: Use Latin Names

>4. What is your least favorite?
>        The use of only scientific names: us novices would also like to see
>common names when possible

Many species of fish do not have common names or have many different common
names from region to region and country to country.  You will do yourself a
BIG favor by learning the Latin names.  Particularly if you use scientific
literature as a reference, you will have to know the scientific names.  Get
a copy of Peterson's Field Guide to Freshwater Fishes and keep it by your
computer.  Most of the North American species are listed in the index by
Latin name.  When I get stuck, I also use this web site -
http://www.utexas.edu/depts/tnhc/.www/fish/tnhc/na/naindex.html

Mark Binkley
Columbus Ohio USA          <))><
mbinkley at earthling_net