From: Alan James Youell <ajyouell at ucalgary_ca>
To: robertrice at juno_com
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 14:23:04 -0600 (MDT)
Subject: Sunfish

Robert, my name is Alan Youell and I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I
am very interested in keeping sunfish however they are not native to
alberta and the local pet stores will not help me get any. I do have one
fish which I got from neighbor. He has a koi pond and the fish was in the
pond when he bought the house so he cannot get any more for me. The fish
is a pumpkinseed (Lepomis gibbosus) and I believe it is male. I would
love
to find him a mate or two. Any help in finding more pumpkinseeds or other
sunfish types would be great. He lives in a 55 gal. tank with three
tinfoil barbs right now.The water temp. fluctuates between 75 and 79
degrees. Do you think I need a chiller to keep sunfish successfully?
I live in an apartment and this is room temp. As I am a university
student
the cost of a chiller is a little much. Do you know if you can build your
own or of any other methods of temperature control? I am looking at
purchasing a 108gal later this month so the 55gal can be a species tank
or
breeding tank, what do you think? Thank you in advance for your help and
advice and I really enjoyed you imformative writing in AQUARIUM magazine.
Talk to you soon, Alan