Re: NFC: Fw: hey

Hi there Phil.
send mail to Majordomo at actwin_com, anything in the subject box.
In the body, put subscribe nfc.  On another line, put subscribe nfcbreeders.

   Ok, onto your question.  Tesselated Darters, for all their ugliness, are one of my favorite darters otu there.   They're the first ones I ever collected and were the bait that brought me into the hobby. The little ones have a mottling that resembles that of the Chinese Algae Eater, while adults change to a rather nice brownish black.  A breeding male has spectacularly coloured finage.
  Theres little difference between Jonny and Tesselated Darters.  Up until recently, they were considered to be subspecies of one another - which means they're pretty closely related.  The only way I've found to tell easily is to look at range maps and past collection data.  If only Johnny Darters are present in your area, or were collected more than olmstedi, then you have Johnny. :)
  I've never bred the Johnny Darter, but have done the Tesselated.  I'll tell you my experience with them:
The breeding tank should be set up with a #3 or slightly larger (#4-5) gravel.  Onto this gravel, a few large, flat rocks should be placed, such that a cave is formed.  You may want to cement (with silicon glue) these together to prevent cave ins.  The male will mark one of these caves as his territory and begin courting females outside of it.   He does this with spectacular shows of fin.  The female enters, and the eggs are laid.  This is done on the roof of the cave.  The female may then be removed.  The male will generally care for the eggs.  (The male, btw, is the one with the darker head colour).  The eggs will hatch, depending on temperature, anywhere from 3-7 days later.  I've often had problems with fungus developing in the hatch, and found a bit of methyln blue will cure this up.  The darter also does a good job of keeping it at bay.  Once the eggs hatch, the male may be removed, a good idea since I've had them eat the fry.  The fry can be raised on any number of foods, I've found _Daphnia_ to be a good food, though hard to come by.  Other options would be freshly hatches mosquito larvae, baby brine shrimp (you can hatch these yourself -- eggs will come with instructions, just be careful to rince them well), and green water.  The fry grow relatively quickly, and will begin to take larger foods soon.  You can find a lot of miscelanious critters in leaf litter and grass along shore for these guys.
Good luck with it... and let us all know how it turns out.

 end
 ><>
 J. L. Wiegert                                    ICQ UIN: 1918889
 www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/2308          AIM  ID: Etheosoma
 ask for help!