From: "Suzy McDowell" <smcdowell at amrivers_org>
To: "Corps List Member" <robertrice at juno_com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 12:20:34 -0400
Subject: [Corps] CORPS REFORM LISTSERV - WEEKLY UPDATE, APRIL 9, 1999

CORPS REFORM LISTSERV - WEEKLY UPDATE, APRIL 9, 1999

CASE STUDY OF THE WEEK: ANACOSTIA RIVER FISH PASSAGE

The Corps of Engineers modified an existing flood control project to open
5
miles of stream to migrating fish and restored riparian habitat.

To learn more, click here
http://www.nab.usace.army.mil/services/ana.htm

To learn more about the Anacostia River, click here
http://www.chesapeakebay.net/anacostia/index.htm

To learn more about Corps environmental restoration programs, click here
http://www.amrivers.org/corpsauthorities.html

WRDA EXPECTED TO MOVE NEXT WEEK

The Senate and House are preparing to act quickly to vote on the Water
Resources Development Act of 1999 (WRDA) when they return on Monday,
April
12. The bill authorizes new projects for the Corps of Engineers. A Senate
committee has approved one version. The House version is expected to
include
twice as many projects.

Conservation groups hope to address a number of provisions, including:
(1)
expanding funds for relocation and river restoration, (2) blocking
authorization of projects that have not been thoroughly reviewed by the
Corps, and (3) limiting federal subsidies for deep harbor dredging.

To view the Senate version of WRDA, visit http://thomas.loc.gov and type
in
S. 507. The view the report, type in 106-34.

To call members of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee
or
send a letter, visit www.amrivers.org/corpsreform.html

DOOLITTLE AND MATSUI NEGOTIATE OVER AUBURN DAM

Rep. John Doolittle's (R-CA) support for the Auburn Dam on the American
River in California blocked passage of the Water Resources Development
Act
of 1998. Now, Doolittle may be willing to support alternatives to the dam
-
as long as Congress approves expensive water supply projects and other
improvements.

To learn more, click here
http://www.capitolalert.com/news/capalert01_19990408.html

To learn more about the Auburn Dam, click here
http://www.friendsoftheriver.org/html/auburn.html

and here
http://www.taxpayer.net/TCS/AuburnDam/Aubfacts.html

CORPS REFORM WHITE PAPER

Conservation and taxpayer groups met in Louisiana to develop a national
strategy and a network to reform the Corps of Engineers. In the coming
months, we will develop an internal document that will discuss key issues
and develop national strategies. Subjects will include flood control,
environmental restoration, navigation, ports, and beaches. If you would
like
to be involved in the development of this document, please contact Suzy
McDowell at smcdowell at amrivers_org.

If you would like to be removed from this listserv, please send an email
with "unsubscribe Corps Reform listserv" in the subject line to
smcdowell at amrivers_org

Suzy McDowell
Outreach Coordinator
American Rivers