Re: NFC: Hey Mark

At 08:18 PM 3/17/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Went by Columbus last week and was wondering have you investigated the
>Little Darby or Big Darby Creeks. . If so did you find anything neat and
>interesting
>
>Ron
>The One Who Walks Two Paths

Hey!  You should have given me a holler!  I haven't done the little Darby
yet.  Klaus has.  Check out that web site he mentioned.  It's one I put
together on an outing that Klaus, two other friends and I went on last fall.
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Rapids/7451/collect1.html

I have done the Big Darby in two locations - the one in the web site (middle
stretch) and another, in the headwaters.  Distinctly different fauna at the
two locations.  Both are excellent a far as species diversity.

Here are some lists of species collected at the two locations on three
different occasions -

middle stretch Big Darby, November 7, 1998:
   1.Etheostoma blennioides
   2.Etheostoma caeruleum
   3.Etheostoma camurum
   4.Etheostoma nigrum
   5.Etheostoma tippecanoe
   6.Etheostoma variatum
   7.Etheostoma zonale
   8.Noturus flavus
   9.Hypentelium nigricans
  10.Campostoma anomalum
  11.Ambloplites rupestris
  12.Lepomis macrochirus
  13.Lepomis megalotis
  14.Micropterus dolomieu
  15.Micropterus salmoides

upper Big Darby 5-9-98:
southern redbelly dace, troutperch, rainbow, orange throat, johnny, fantail
and greenside darters, rose fin shiners, white and hogsuckers, carp,
blackstripe topminnows, mottled sculpins, stone rollers, blacknose dace,
crappie, rock bass, green sunfish, blunt nose minnows, bullhead minnows,
smallmouth bass, creek chubs and other assorted minnows and shiners.

upper Big Darby August 1998:
Noturus flavus
Ameiurus natalis
Ambloplites rupestris
Lepomis macrochirus
Lepomis cyanellus
Cyprinus carpio
Semotilus atromaculatus
Phoxinus erythrogaster
Fundulus notatus
Percina maculata
Etheostoma
        blennioides
        caeruleum
        spectabile
        nigrum
        zonatum
        flabellare
Campostoma anomalum
Catostomus commersoni
Hypentelium nigricans
Moxostoma erythrurum
Rhinichthys atratulus
Pimephales notatus
Cottus bairdi
various Notropis, Cyprinella and Luxilus species

Sound good?  :)

Mark Binkley
mbinkley at earthling_net		<))><
Columbus Ohio USA