Re: NFC: ecology 101

Moon,
				The use of exotics by state programs has proven in almost all cases to
eventually be a disaster. This is most evident here in South Florida with the
Spotted Tilapia ( Tilapia mariae ). This fish was supposed to help eleviate
the very problems you've mentioned with aquatic vegitation. Unfortunately, the
tilapia have become a major neusance fish. They not only compete with other
fish such as Flagfish and Sailfin Mollies they use up energy  and space in the
waters that would otherwise be useful to the natives. Even the giant grass
Carp, which munch out on Cabomba are a problem as Cabomba is used by most of
the smaller natives to breed and lay eggs in. These eggs and young are
inadvertantly consumed by the carp as they do their "job", thereby decreasing
the native populations and threatening the diversity. I propose more relavent
conservation minded subsidies for the harvest of the aquatic vegitation by
private interests to be used for fertalizer,ect. This is only one of many
possible alterntives to the use of exotics to "control" vegitative clutter.
For instance, when I am out collecting, I not only take some of the vegitation
that clogs the flow in the canals, I also often shake loose whatever may be in
the Cabomba in the water, then toss it to the shore, thereby serving the same
purpose in control without disrupting the bio-systems at work. These sites Are
canals, not natural systems, so arguments may be made that it does'nt matter
anyway. However, some of these canals have an extraordinary diversity in
natives and as I collect the natives and plants, I also remove the exotic
predators that feed on them. Balance
     Daryl