NFC: Questions

In light of all the recent messages concerning the destruction of
aquatic habitats, the widespread loss suffered by rare fish populations,
and suggested recourses of action to prevent such waste, I have a few
questions that I'm hoping somebody might be able to answer.

1. If a habitat, whether it is a stream or a 15' ditch, is found to
contain a species listed as endangered or threatened, who should be
informed?

   1A. Does the presence of such species mean that, by law,
the                habitat is supposed to be protected from development?

   1B. What type of barriers commonly prevent the conservation
of              aquatic habitats?

2. Are there any listings on the internet of North American
endangered    and threatened fish? What about their geographic locations
as well?

   2A. If not on the internet, where can this information be found? From
       the DNR? What about the NFC?

   2B. Do county governments typically keep information on their
local        natural resources, or is that just dreaming on my part?

3. Has anybody actually become involved with such groups as 4-H,
school classrooms, consevation clubs, etc., in order to promote the
awareness of North American aquatic wildlife?

   3A. If so, what type of program did you try to set up? What were
the        end goals of your efforts? It seems to me that merely
convincing
       a group to establish an aquarium stocked with natives might not
       be enough to promote more than a passing interest of the subject.
       Do you have any ideas/suggestions on what actions can be further
       taken to instill a more lasting concern for the wellfare
of        native fish among even a few members of such groups?

   3B. Besides the 4-H, what other organizations has the NFC contacted
       to promote such conservation efforts? How was it done?

   3C. What's the difference between the NFC and NANFA?

I would like to become more active in preserving what remains of our
natural resources, but am at a loss as to what I can do. I do know that
first I have to become more knowledgeable of what species can be found
swimming about the waterways of America. Admittedly, my knowledge of
fish is currently stronger concerning marine species; the result of 15
years involvement with that hobby.

I can hear the call for action loud and clear. What can I do?

Tony Gustafson