Re: NFC: Re: amano

Now for my two cents worth:

The Amano method achieves tanks with incorporate a variety of artistic
design features using natural plants, perhaps in innovative ways.
Essentially, they are artistic designs which use natural plants to
achieve an artistic effect as compared with using artificial plants.
Becoming familiar with the features of artistic design would allow one
to create a more aesthetically pleasing tank without the expense of
special muds, substrate heating, substrate amendments, CO2 injection,
high tech lighting, etc. Also note that the preferred species are often
quite difficult to come by: one of the designs specifies the use of
False Neon Tetras (aka Green Neon Tetras), without regard to the simple
fact that the fish are quite difficult to obtain and not readily
available.  Not a problem, however, to the dedicated aquatic artist who
will spare no expense to achieve the desired artistic effect.  Also keep
in mind that the devotees of the Amano school are designing art by using
nature, with the plants and fish a means to an overall artistic design.
Sort of like a living sculpture, in a way.

The high-tech aquatic gardeners construct a tank for the benefit of the
_plants_, with the fish being a less important part of the overall
design or an afterthought, just to add a bit of activity, swimming in
amongst the magnificent plants, which are the real focus.  If you have a
need to spend hundreds of dollars on showpiece plant tanks containing
hard to raise aquatic plants, then high-tech aquatic gardening is for
you.  Of course, you will need to remove bushels of excess plant growth
on a regular basis, but it is a small price to pay for that plant show
tank you sunk a month or two's paychecks into for special lighting,
gravel additives, substrate heating, CO2 injection, etc.  Besides, you
will need to invite all your friends (and anyone else you can find) who
will get lots of free cuttings, plants, bulbs (and anything else you can
pawn off on them) and will be told that they can have a tank just like
yours which will allow them to share bushels of plants with _their_
friends, if they are only willing to invest $1,000 or so in the same
high-tech setup.

Aquarists focus on the fish, adding plants, bogwood, etc. to achieve a
more or less natural, but otherwise eminently suitable environment for
the fish.  The plants, substrate, bogwood, rocks, etc., are present due
to the needs of the fish and secondarily for aesthetic effects or for
growing plants.  Water parameters are adjusted to enhance the well being
and preferences of the fish, i.e., using soft, acid water for some
species (tetras, killies, etc.), alkaline water for livebearers and Rift
Lake cichlids and brackish water for brackish species.  The needs of the
fish control the selection of plants and use of decorations such as
bogwood, rocks, etc.

There are, however, those hobbyists that use pink Day-Glo gravel, action
ornaments and Fluorescent Colors or Glow-In-The-Dark plastic plants,
which are intended to create a design for entertainment purposes.  Fish
in these situations are often selected on the basis of color ( i.e. they
go with the drapes, or, "I would like some of those red swordtails, some
neat Blueberry Tetras, Ballon Belly Mollies, and Fluorescent Glassfish,
along with those nice blue and yelllow Malawi Cichlids and an Oscar or
two and maybe a couple of Jewel Cichlids, a couple of Pacu and one or
two Red-Tailed Catfish - they will all fit in that ten gallon tank I
just set up this morning, won't they?") with little regard to the needs
of the fish.  If they die, well, the store owner will sell them some
more.  If the cost of replacing dead fish gets too expensive as nobody
told them about the needs of the fish and the need to do water changes,
clean the gravel and other icky stuff like that, the aquarium can be
sold at next year's yard sale to buy the latest. trendy pet craze:
Fluorescent Green, Glow-in- the-Dark Hamsters !!!.

'Nuff said.

>From owner-nfc at actwin_com Wed Jan 27 14:57:03 1999
>From: "Brian T. Perkins" <btpmsi at email_msn.com>
>To: <nfc at actwin_com>
>Subject: NFC: Re: amano
>Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 14:54:21 -0800
>Sender: owner-nfc at actwin_com

Unbelievably
>>costly mud, floating plants held down by netting, High tech (read that
hi
>>priced) support that puts my marine tanks to shame. I think his tanks
are
>>about as natural looking as Florescent pink gravel with Day-Glo purple
>plants.
>
>I don't think "natural" is what he's striving for, do you? From your
>description of your bog tank I'd say that this idea comes closer to
>"natural" (still very interested in seeing the pix of that tank, btw)
:)