Re: NFC:?Food

Mark
>  If you have any decent sized pond, you should be able to produce >tons
of them with no effort.  You would have to devise a way of >handling the
feeders over the winter so they don't get froze under >and
inaccessible...that is if you'r in the north.

I'm "in the nawth" and I have no trouble getting feeder minnows all
winter, in natural water that is.  The marshes have many areas that stay
open well enough to get feeders.  A "garden pond" wouldn't work, but if
you installed a cattle trough heater, picked up at feed stores, you can
keep the pond open all winter, or as my neighbor does , run the garden
hose on "trickle" throughout the winter, his ponds were only half frozen
over when we had the deep freeze the beginning of january, and have
reopened when temps were only in the teens and twenties for highs!

 > How 'bout earthworms?  Supposed to be high protein.  Might be
>more difficult to gut load, though.

Earthworms can be fed vitamin fortified foods as easily as the next food
animal.  High quality flake foods work well for this purpose, and you can
also use soy based vitamin supplements.  these look like flour and worms
ingest this when they feed under the newspaper covering the substrate.
   Another easily fortified food that works well on surface feeding fish
and herps are crickets.  I have seen visible results with sunfish fed
crickets.  keep your crickets on rabbit pellets, put in sliced oranges
and ROMAINE lettuce, not ice berg, as that is as good as toilet paper as
far as nutrition.   dust crickets with the same vitamin powder I
mentioned to use with worms.  Well hydrated (orange slices) crickets hold
most the powder on their bodies even after being submersed and let go by
over eager fish.
Ray

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]