Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 09:04:56 -0600 (CST)
From: Sajjad Lateef <sajjad at uic_edu>
To: bldg-issues at uic_edu
Subject: Campus grounds suggestion

To: Senate Subcommittee on Buildings and Grounds
    University of Illinois at Chicago.

Reg: Request for suggestions about Campus Grounds from students.

	My name is Sajjad Lateef and I am a gradute student in Computer
Engineering.

	I suggest that some section of the campus grounds be set aside for
a Illinois Prairie bio-type. The IDOT has done a great job by planting
prairie grasses and wildflowers on either sides of the expressways (e.g.
I-55 between Chicago and Springfield). These natural native grasses do not
require as much maintainence as the current lawn. I am sure that the
Illinois DNR would provide UIC with the plants needed upon request.

	One other suggestion, which may seem a bit strange, is an addition
of a small garden pond. A pond stocked with small local fish like minnows,
shiners and dace would help educate our students about the wonders of our
local aquatic fauna. The Native Fish Conservacy (NFC) - an organization
which tries to educate society about the wonders of our native fish -
would, I am sure, be able to work with UIC on such a project. The NFC can
be contacted at <nfc at actwin_com>. The NFC has worked on similar projects
before - a native fish display at the Lowery Aquarium in Florida, several
grade school classrooms across the country, etc. Further details can be
obtained from their website: http://nativefish.interspeed.net

	Thank you.

Sincerely,
Sajjad Lateef