Re: NFC: Fw: PICKEREL

> 1. What are the best aquarium conditions to maintain for ESOX species?

I've found chain pickerel generally pretty easy to keep.  I've had problems
with redfins though.  This year I caught a chain pickerel about 1 1/2".
First food was adult artemia which it took readily.  Next, I had a handy
supply of mosquito larvae which it also quickly munched on.  Once it ate the
larvae, I fed frozen mysid or euphasid shrimp.  Again, it ate them like a
champ.  I've been home free since.

When they are small, they are like any other fish of that size.  Once they
get bigger, then you will run into problems with increasing size of tank and
food.  I think it has already been mentioned, but most of us know they are
ambush predators and don't swim all that much.  But a large horizontal tank
should be available as the length increases.  I've found them to be skittish
and jumpers so make sure the tank is covered all the time.

Water parameters are variable.  I collect mine from the Pine Barrens in NJ,
so the water is soft and acidic.  I keep them at pH of 6.5 and hardness
<50ppm.  They are found in neutral to slightly alkaline waters as well so if
you can maintain a steady pH <8 you should be fine.

As far as water movement goes, I don't do anything extra as mine are
collected in quiet water with plenty of plant cover usually bladderworts.
Especially if you are collecting young of the year, they will always be
associated with plants so elodea, cabomba, or any other floating plant would
be greatly appreciated.

These have been my observations; others may be different.  If you have any
further questions, please ask.

Good luck

Dave