Re: NFC: Fw: PICKEREL

Tony: suggest that the best aquarium for grass or redfin pickerel would
be a long display tank, at least 30 gallons and preferably more, which
is well planted and has some rocks for structure to give the pickerel
hideout spots where they can ambush minnows.  Due to their long,
streamlined shape and hunting style, they need lots of room and swimming
space.  Suggest a power filter to provide water movement and filtration,
also suggest stocking with crayfish, if there are sufficient hideouts
for them.  Not only will they clean up after the pickerel, they will
also be an occasional snack for pickerel, which regularly eat small
crayfish.

Hope to see you join the NFC - we have a predator discussion list which
I think you would be interested in.  We are gearing up to do basic
reseach on a number of fish species, including redfin pickerel.  If you
would like to be a part of our Breeder's Program and work with redfin
pickerel or other esox species, contact Bill Duzen, the NFC Breeder's
Program Administrator (Theduuz at aol_com).  In order to participate in
this program, you will need to become a member of the NFC.

One of the scientific collection permits which I expect to be issued
shortly includes provisions for me to send redfin pickerel to Mr. Duzen
for the NFC Breeder's Program.   Perhaps you can make arrangements with
him to receive some redfin or other pickerel from him.  Also, let me
know if you want to be listed on any scientific collection permits after
you join the NFC.

In reference to you last few questions, the NFC is growing rapidly at
the present time, however, regional chapters have not be established
yet.
These chapters may be established in the near future, once an area
develops a membership base sufficient to do so.  Even without a regional
chapter, the various discussion lists provide lots of opportunity to
interact with NFC members and converse about issues of relevance to your
areas of interest.  Please consider joining !

>From owner-nfc at actwin_com Wed Jan 13 08:01:22 1999
>To: nfc at actwin_com
>Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 07:03:32 -0600
>Subject: NFC: Fw: PICKEREL
>From: robertrice at juno_com (robert a rice)
>Sender: owner-nfc at actwin_com
>
>Please reply to tony and the list
>
>Robert Rice
>Help Preserve our Aquatic Heritage join the NFC
>email us at NFC at actwin_com or  Sunfishtalk at listbot_com
>website  http://nativefish.interspeed.net/

Problem