NFC: Re: Winter collecting

-----Original Message-----
From: D. Martin Moore <archimedes at master_localink4.com>
To: nfc at actwin_com <nfc at actwin_com>
Date: Thursday, December 03, 1998 10:44 AM
Subject: NFC: Winter collecting

>It's starting to cool off here in MS, and the winter rains are setting
>in.  What is the group's experience with cold weather collecting vs.
>warm?  Different pop distributions, richer collections, what?  Here
>in MS a lot of streams dry up in the summer but hold fish in the
>winter.  And some that are too small to pull a seine through
>suddenly become very inviting.

The biggest change that I've noticed here (southern Michigan) is that access
to the shorelines of streams and lakes is far easier in the winter.  In the
summer, a certain coldwater stream in my area can be reached only by
carefully cutting and pruning a path to the water's edge, or else the thorn
bushes will cut you to pieces.  During the winter, the stream can be reached
in many places, and I don't have to worry about bugs, thorns, razor-sharp
marsh grass, or rattlesnakes.

[\   Andrew Dalton
[\[\
[\  [\