NFC: telephoning catfish

Does anyone any experience in catching catfish by making them surface with
electricity? Is alternating or direct current better? I want to make one that
will work as well as possible without breaking the law in my area about this.
It must hand cranked is about the only limitation on it. What would be the
best parameters be for making catfish come to the surface? Could battery power
be used? Higher voltage or higher amps? The only ones I can buy are old
fashioned and I would like to use a little bit of technology to improve it's
working capacity.

ichael Hissom