Re: NFC: DP forward from Aquarium List: fish euthanasia

>Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 18:18:52 -0500 (EST)
>From: Josh Wiegert <wiegerj at paul_paulsmiths.edu>
>To: nfc at actwin_com
>Subject: Re: NFC: DP forward from Aquarium List:  fish euthanasia
>
>I have to say.. this sounds WORSE to me... asphyxiation vs. freezing?
I'd
>rather freeze.

Well, I talked a group I did some food studies with into freezing the
salamanders we caught instead of just dropping them into a preservative.
I could not stand to watch them thrash like that it looked like horrible
pain to me. Turns out, I didnt consider that these animals are made to
survive freezing temps. THey still thrashed, but only after the
preservative roused them from their pseudo-death. I think CO2 is a much
nicer way for them to go, it is supposed to be much faster.