Re: salt

	Since Michael was so desparate for help, I did a quick web search
of the EPA's site and got the following articles (URLs included):

Salinity by Conductivity and Hydrometer : A METHOD COMPARISON
by Peter Bergstrom
http://www.epa.gov/owowwtr1/monitoring/volunteer/spring97/mettec13.html

Salinity Testing Methods (first section reproduced below)
by Steve Wildberger
http://www.epa.gov/owowwtr1/monitoring/volunteer/spring93/school27.htm

-- begin

What is Salinity?

Salinity is defined as the total amount (grams) of solid material
dissolved in a kilogram of seawater when all the carbonate has been
converted to oxide, all bromine and iodine replaced by chlorine, and all
organic matter completely oxidized. It is expressed as g/kg or parts per
thousand (ppt or o/oo).

Seawater is a very complex mixture of over 100 different constituents, but
six ions account for over 99% of the dissolved material. In the ocean,
these six ions are very well mixed and present in nearly constant
proportions: chloride (Cl-), 55.0%; sodium (Na+), 30.6%; sulfate (SO4-2),
7.7%; magnesium (Mg+2), 3.7%; calcium (Ca+2), 1.2%; and potassium (K+),
1.2%.

-- end

	If I add 1/2 tsp/Gallon of salt to my tank water and assuming
that:  a) My original water had no other dissolved salts (ha!)
       b) 1 tsp of salt = 5 gm
Using the above formula, I get a salinity of 0.65g/Kg (approx)

	Does this help?

Sajjad
ps: I still think "just right" is a better answer! ha ha ha

--
Sajjad Lateef  ~ <;))>< ~~  ~~    <http://www.eecs.uic.edu/~slateef/>
sajjad at acm_org ~~  ~~  <;))><     ICQ# 13114451