Re: DP Collecting On Federal Land Alert

Chuck,

The only experience I've had with collecting on National Land was in the
Mingo Swamp in Missouri and I checked at the Nature center first and found
that state rules applied.  I know that postings are frequently inadequate
especially when you try to decipher them.

Dave Hall

----------
> From: CEFCHURCH at aol_com
> To: nfc at actwin_com
> Subject: DP Collecting On Federal Land Alert
> Date: Thursday, October 01, 1998 7:38 PM
>
> Earlier today I stopped by Muscatatuck National Refuge in southern
Indiana to
> throw in some minnow traps and fish at a site I had been many times
before.
> Unknown to me, fishing was prohibited in all but a few spots in an area
> covered with streams, wetlands and ponds.  The ticket will probably be
about
> $125.  They mail them. The female enforcement officer was very nice but
said
> that the property manager's policy was no exceptions. I was my normal
nice,
> courteous self.  When she walked up, I figured for the third time in my
life,
> an enforcement officer just wanted to check my license. BTW, I was in
plain
> view of a road traveled every several minutes by uniformed site employees
in
> marked vehicle.  I was clearly not hiding my activity.
>
> The only signs in an area of 100s of acres was a relatively small one at
each
> of the two entrances.  No other signs were posted that I observed.  I
went
> looking for them after being ticketed.  There were also brochures
available if
> you stopped at the nature center.  I went and spoke to the assistant
property
> manager and she stated that the signs they have are adequate.
>
> My first reason for bringing this up is that others besides myself may
not be
> aware that once on federal land, apparently all the rules change.  There
are
> few federal sites in my state, so I was unfamiliar with the new set.
(Also,