dip nets: reply, 1 source, how would you design the perfect dip net con °¤Äxì½°¤Äxì½

-> Not an hour ago I was glancing at dip nets in the current Memphis Net
-> and Twine Catalog. They will send you a free catalog.  They also have
-> seine nets and traps, etc.  They supply a lot of commercial fish
-> collecting stuff.

-> phone:   1-800-238-6380
-> e-mail:   memnet at netten_ne

-> They have 2 "D" types and a round one.  They look heavy duty but the
-> handle may not be long enough (40").  Range from "D" type fingerling
-> net $35 to $40 round net.  Page 33, top left corner of 1998 catalog.

-> I've also seen a couple fish nets in Entomology.  Bio-Quip is the one
-> that comes to mind. Don't have a catalog on hand right now.  You
-> university types could check with someone in that department for more
-> suppliers.  Anybody else have other sources?

-> I've looked at extendable swimming pool nets before and wondered how to
-> convert one of those into a dip net.  I don't like the size of the net
-> currently on the ones I see at some Wal-Marts or pool supply stores
-> but I do like the handle.  Anyone have any ideas on converting one?

-> For all you dip net experienced folks, what would you be looking for
-> in a dip net?  If we can come up with decent design parameters and
-> enough people to purchase them, maybe we can talk Memphis Net and
-> Twine in to building a batch for us or adding a few to their line
-> once they know there is a market.  Or find someone else outside of
-> the net industry with the tools and skills to run a few off and we
-> attach our own nets.  Maybe get someone to make just the heads that
-> would screw on to an extendable swimming pool net.

-> A few years ago, I heard from others that Memphis Net used to build a
-> dip net "strong enough to turn a truck over with."  I don't think we
-> need one that strong; it would probably be too heavy.

-> Here are a few things off the top of my head we need parameters on:

-> - length of handle
-> - metal or wood
-> - extendable handle or screw together sections
-> - width and height of net opening
-> - round or "D" or square shapes
-> - depth of net
-> - what material to make net out of
-> - what size(s) of mesh
-> - removable heads (perhaps have different heads to change for different
-> collecting      needs)
-> - price range you would be willing to pay for a quality net
-> - weight considerations

-> Keep in mind different states have legal requirements on size.  I
-> believe Indiana says opening cannot be more than 3 square feet, which
-> strikes me as being too small.  Indiana also has an unintelligible
-> requirement on depth.

-> Any tips on successful collecting procedures would also be appreciated.

-> I'll also copy this to Memphis Net and see if they respond with any
-> ideas.

-> Chuck Church
-> CEFChurch at aol_com
-> PO Box 2067
-> Indianapolis, Indiana 46206-2067
-> USA

-> ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸
-> .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
-> ·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>·´¯`·
-> . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Well I do a lot of dipnetting and three square feet is probably at the
max end of what I want, as the larger the opening the greater the drag
and that can become critical especially in fast flowing streams.  The
typical method to catch darters is to stick the dipnet downstream on the
bottom and to shuffle behind the net scaring the fish into it.  After a
few hours of this, if there is too much drag you get pretty tired. I
will measure the opening.  42 inch handles are adequate however they are
a pain to store at times.  It would be great if the handle could be
screwed together so it can be more easily transported.  Also an aluminum
frame is a liability.   The frame should be hardened iron so that it
doesnt deform from the beating it will take by cramming it into the
substrate when you collect in streams.  Ok this isnt really dipnetting,
but most of my collecting is done this way.   For dipping per se you
could use a bigger opening, but I would want any dipnet I have to be able
to withstand the rigors of collecting darters in a fast flowing stream.
The bottom of the net should have some kind of protective covering over
the net so that the wear and tear does not cause the net to fail around
the rim that would come in contact with the stream bottom.