Collection/study question

I have found a small creek (well more like a ditch) near by that I would
like to gain a fairly reliable species inventory from. I have done this
sort of thing with salamanders in a seminar on herpetology, but how
would one gain a reliable result? Would I need to sample the entire
length or is there a standard for what fraction I should cover?
Also I would like a good key, the Peterson's was fair for salamanders,
how is it for fish? What sampling methods are recommended, should I trap
and net? What sort of netting techniques work best? I realize these are
not short-answer type questions, but I feel a discussion of this sort
would greatly aid those of us new to this sort of thing (collection).

Thanks in advance,
Scott McLaughlin