Re: Question

I thought I should offer a comment on the following exchange:

All bony fish have stones called otoliths in their heads. There are not two
stones but six: on each side of the head the inner ear contains a sagitta,
an asteriscus, and a lapillus. The sagitta are the largest and are the ones
people usually notice when then first dissect a fish head. Drum do have
rather large otoliths, but they are not at all unique in this aspect. The
otoliths are primarily organs of balance and as such I guess you could say
that they help the fish stay on the bottom by helping it maintain its
balance, but they aren't used to weight the fish down like a diver's weight
belt.
Otolith material is deposited at regular intervals in most fish, and the
resulting banding pattern is often used to estimate yearly or even daily
ages of individual fish.
Regarding drumming by drum--yes, they make a lot of noise, but they don't
use their otoliths for this purpose. Muscles associated with the air bladder
make the drumming noise.

Ed Matheson