Re: Territorial behaviour

Sajjad:

Sounds like your Red Shiners are really doing well! A variety of
chubs/dace/shiners exhibit territorial behavior, either defending a
constructed nest (pebble pile or depression) or a particular patch of a
riffle.  Seems like you have a male that has established a territory and
is willing to spawn.  Unfortunately, the males' willingness does not
mean that the females are ready or have spawned already. The likelihood
of fry survival in a tank with several adult fish is somewhere between
slim and none. Below is my recommendation for a setup to try.

Suggest taking the male and putting him in a breeder tank with peastone
gravel and some mixed plants, such as bunches of anacharis and
myriophyllum, coontail, etc.  Separate females into another tank and
feed lots of live/frozen foods until they are nicely colored and plump,
then put them in with the male.  When the females' plumpness is gone,
remove all adults and watch for fry in the tank- should be quite small,
like little slivers of glass, and not free swimming for several days.
When you notice free swimming fry, feed infusoria culture and/or green
water until they are big enough to take microworms and newly hatched
brine shrimp.  Should show rapid growth with frequent feedings of live
food and water changes (cover the end of the siphon tube with a brine
shrimp net secured with a rubber band to avoid siphoning fry). Infusoria
cultures can be easily made (instructions in most fish breeding books)
or cultures can be obtained from vendors advertising in the classified
ad section of many aquarium magazines.  If you can't get some locally,
let me know, as I have cultures of various organisms, such as
microworms, daphnia, rotifers, etc.

It is my understanding that getting deleted from the NANFA list is
rather common.  It seems to be due to some system administration
problems.  Deletion is particularly likely if your email account maxes
out or your email server becomes busy, causing emails to you to
"bounce", which causes the listserver to automatically delete you from
the list. If you are not getting any posts from the nanfa list, this is
probably what happened and you will need to resubscribe to get messages
from the NANFA list.