Re: serious letter

Excellent point ! Fish do not live in a vacum ! We must also make an
effort to Balance the needs of other members of our aquatic ecosystems !
balance is the key.........

On Mon, 07 Sep 1998 23:50:48 -0500 Taxman <z931818 at niu_edu> writes:
>I understand that this is list is filled with those dedicated to
>promoting
>conservation of native fish species, but I just want to introduce a
>point here.
>It sounds like you've examined this pond for vertebrate life rather
>thoroughly,
>but what about invertebrates?  There are many species of aquatic
>insects whose
>larvae can only survive in bodies of water that do NOT contain
>fishes...an example
>would be several of the phantom midges of family Chaoboridae.  I would
>recommend a
>more thorough (if it has not already been done) examination of the
>biodiversity of
>these apparently "fishless regions," so that in one's (good-intended)
>haste to
>save the native fishes, native insects and crustaceans aren't
>eradicated instead.
>
>Moontanman at aol_com wrote:
>
>> OK guys and gals I have an opportunity, due to much construction in
>my area
>> and the requirement of runoff ponds for parking lot rain water I
>have found a
>> pond (1/3 acre or so) that has been forgotten and has no fish!  I
>plan to
>> contact the developers and ask if I can stock this little jewel with
>fish of
>> my choosing.  Nothing lives there but insects and tadpoles.  A great
>> opportunity to start an ecosystem from the ground up (so to speak) I
>am
>> leaning towards H. Formosa, madtoms, bluespotted sunnies, and maybe
>grass
>> pickerels.  I know some dace are native here and some shiners.  Want
>to start
>> a discussion/suggestions for stocking this pristine body of water?
>>

>  Michael

Robert Rice
Help Preserve our Aquatic Heritage join the NFC
email us at NFC at actwin_com
website  http:\\nativefish.interspeed.net\

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]