Positive Influence (was Re: NFC freebie for Sept.....)

Hi Norm,
   I think that it is very admirable that you at least gave it a try.  I
definitely wouldn't consider it a failure, you helped give a child a memory
that will stay with him for the rest of his life, especially during a very
trying and confusing time in his life.  Something touches me deep inside
evert time I see the joy a child experiences when he or she catches a fish.
They don't care how big or what kind, they only know that they've
accomplished something special.  By being a part of that experience, you can
help show them how to be a caring, conservation-minded, responsible
sportsman.  To this day, I still remember everyone that took a little time
out of their busy lives to spend time with me and help nurture and develop
my interests in fish and fishing.
   The purpose of our kid's rodeo (Jr. Sportsman's Day) is to try to provide
an outing for the entire family and to help teach the kids the true meaning
of conservation and sportsmanship.  We have a fishing rodeo with many
different age classes and trophies for first, second and third in each
class, plus specialty trophies.  We give out over thirty trophies, and these
are trophies that even any adult would be proud to receive.  The smallest is
usually about 12" and the tallest (for King  and Queen Fishers) topping out
at almost three feet !  We have various speakers and demonstrations as our
entertainment.  We feed the kids, and their families, lunch which usually
consists of hot dogs and chilli, corn-on-the-cob, jambalaya, chips, drinks
and desserts.  Every child walks away, a winner.  Before the event ends, we
give each and every child a "diddy-bag" full of small gifts, fishing
equipment (lures, etc.) and various literature, plus they get a large gift
such as a rod and reel, tackle box, scoop net or a miriad of other really
nice prizes.  The attendance is usually over 200 kids, PLUS their families !
How can we do all of this ?  Through the generous donations of local
merchants and businesses (both large and small) and the extremely hard work
of a  hardcore group of dedicated individuals.  We have been doing this for
many years now, but in the beginning our experiences were similar to yours.
Hard work and perserverance paid off and our J.S.D. became what it is today.
We are really lucky to live in a community that cares so much about the
kids.
    Working with kids has many rewards and many surprises, you'll never know
what's gonna happen.  Last year my 6 yr. old nephew fell head-first off of a
cement retaining wall into about 6' of water.  I had to jump in and save him
because he could'nt swim.  His first words were,"where's my fishin' pole?"
This year, one of the kids caught a chicken - hooked it right through the
beak !!  I've even got pictures to back up this "fish" story.   Also, my
daughter and neice (both 8 yrs old) caught some Texas cichlids that someone
had introduced into the lagoon system.  My daughter took first place with
hers and my neice took second !  I've been doing this for 10 years and every
year there are new surprises.
     Whatever you do, my friend, don't give up.  As long as you can make a
positive impact on even one child's life, it was well worth it and you'll
probably get as much or more out of it as he did.  If you need help
developing your ideas, contact me offline and Ill be glad to help you in any
way I can.
    I'm sorry I rambled on for so long.  I feel very strongly about  kids
and providing them with a positive influence in this world of negativity.

...says the "Phishhed"

WARREN
a.k.a. Phishhed        <*(((>{
ICQ#11777434
AOL-Inst.Msgr. screen name: welaka

           "It's not the quantity, it's the quality !"
Check out my web pages at:
www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/1931/index.html
Contact me at; phishhed at acadiacom_net

"Make it idiot-proof and someone will invent a better idiot !"