RE: Collecting fears.......

> while I can appreciate the person's concern, it certainly helps a wild
> population in the sense that fewer mouths to feed mean a
> healthier, more
> dynamic population, especially in the case of our most prolific native
> species who can quickly overcrowd and overcome their
> environments; as in the case of the native mosquitofish, the Gambusia!

Whoa-- this is an opening large enough to walk through!  I disagree with
this.  I think the only times when we can help fish by removing them is
when we humans have screwed up their environment or ecosystem first.
There's no fish that we are helping by removing them from their native
environment except when their environment is so degraded from habitat
destruction or pollution that individuals are saved by removing them and
rearing them elsewhere, as with some very rare fish.

The most prolific fish evolved their high fecundity for reasons which
are NOT detrimental to the survival of the population.  Fish with high
fecundity rates are generally ones with poor survival.  They're like the
mice of the fish world.  Most are forage fish which receive little or no
parental care.  Their survival is dependent upon producing large
numbers, not prevented by it.

Any opposing thoughts on this?

Jay DeLong
Olympia, WA, USA