Re: Wild Daphnia - marketing

Shipping with ice works very well, I am told. Also, would suggest
packing the daphnia then refrigerating overnight, then packing in
crumpled newspaper to prevent convection currents and provide
insulation. Ice (in a sealed bag) or a cold pak would be advised for
shipping in hot weather or to a location in the sunny south.  Daphnia
pulex is less heat  tolerant than daphnia magna, so a good way to
determine which you have is to keep a small population in an 80 -85
degree environment for a week and see if the daphnia make resting eggs -
if so, probably is the pulex variety, as my pulex daphnia made eggs but
my magna daphnia did not when exposed to this heat level for about a
week.

BTW, buying a commercial culture of daphnia will get you about 12
individuals for $3.00 - $5.00.  Full pound live food cultures (which may
not contain a full pound of organism) retail for $15-$20, so the three
pounds of daphnia Mark collected should be worth about $50. Not bad for
10 minutes worth of work.  Should be quite lucrative if he can stockpile
live daphnia in wading pools or capture them as orders come in. Where
else can you make $300 an hour?  Suggest advertising to NFC and NANFA
members on the lists, maybe placing an ad in FAMA, AFM, TFH, local
aquarium club newsletters, etc.

PS: suggest trying to keep daphnia alive rather than frozen, as it is my
understanding that when daphnia are frozen, the ice crystals perforate
their tissues and let all the good stuff leak into the water when
thawed, leaving essentially an empty shell.  Same is true for frozen
adult brine shrimp but not frozen baby brine shrimp - don't have the
hard shell and freeze/thaw better. Already frozen daphnia should not be
thawed before feeding - break off a chunk and hope the fish eat them
before they are fully thawed.  Also, need to have really good filtration
and scavengers to prevent liquids from the frozen daphnia from causing a
major bacteria bloom due to free proteins, etc. in the water.

>From owner-nfc at actwin_com Fri Aug 21 09:05:32 1998
>To: nfc at actwin_com
>Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 10:02:25 -0500
>Subject: Re: Wild Daphnia
>From: robertrice at juno_com (robert a rice)
>Sender: owner-nfc at actwin_com
>
>Very interested ....I dont know why you couldnt ship it with a bit of
ice
>via priority mail >?
>

>On Fri, 21 Aug 1998 08:05:03 -0400 mbinkley at earthling_net (Mark
Binkley)