RE: Live foods

Jeff asked:
>When I pick up rocks in the shallows I often see "something" crawling
>around. I swap rocks out in the 10G in the boathouse ever couple of
>weeks in hopes off adding fresh food.

Some species benefit from additions of periphyton-covered rocks to their
tanks.  Two species where I live-- the mountain sucker and chiselmouth--
feed on this material in their natural habitat and pretty much require
it if they are to be tank-reared.  They'll graze on those rocks and
ignore other foods.  The chiselmouth has specially-adapted mouthparts to
accomplish this.

I wonder if hog suckers would be easier to rear if they were fed this
way?

Jay DeLong
Olympia, WA, USA

"Education never ends, Watson.  It is a series of lessons, with the
greatest for the last." --Arthur Conan Doyle