Re: Live foods

Sounds like he is looking for insect larvae, like mayfly nymphs, caddis
worms, midge larvae and stonefly nymphs, all of which are found around,
and under, gravel, stones, etc. in riffle areas.  I have found that if
you place a fine mesh net in flowing water, you will collect quite a few
of these insect larvae without much trouble at all, as most of these
insects go into the water flow to move downstream, a phenomenon known as
drift, which provides a lot of nice munchies for the fish present, which
hold out of the current and nab the bugs as they go by.

A more labor intensive approach to capture these live foods is to place
a fine mesh net in a stream and pick up the bottom stones and shake
vigorously (under water) - the larvae will be dislodged and go into the
net.

IMPORTANT NOTE: this is NOT allowed in NY in waters inhabited by trout
and may be prohibited in other areas also.  Check local regulations
before harvesting aquatic insects and be conservative in the amount you
gather.