Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 11:30:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: owner-nfc at actwin_com
To: owner-nfc at actwin_com
Subject: BOUNCE nfc at actwin_com:    Non-member submission from ["Darren and Sharon Gill" <dsgill at email_msn.com>]

>From jwiegert at nexus_v-wave.com  Wed Aug 12 11:30:22 1998
From: "Darren and Sharon Gill" <dsgill at email_msn.com>
To: <nfc at actwin_com>
Subject: Re: E P Sunfish
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 10:38:11 -0500

Hi Chris,

My experience has been the same.  I've got a 15G long set up with lots of
Java moss.  Late last year I had a single pair of pygmies in the tank and
over the winter I let the algae get out of control.  Actually I was
negligent with the tank and ignored it the better part of the winter.  You
could imagine my suprise when I found fry swimming around the tank this
spring.  I now have 6 young pygmies but unfortunately they are mostly males.
In fact, I think I have a single female.  I'm concerned that she may end up
being harrassed and she is almost half the size of the males.  When I feed I
make sure that she gets food hoping to fatten her up for breeding.  Right
now I'm feeding Daphnia and mosquito larvae both of which they seem to love
(although the larger mosquito larvae seem almost too big for them).

I've noticed that the males spend a lot of time wagging at each other in
defense of their turf.  This rarely results in injuries though and I like
the fact that they are colored up most of the time.  They are always a
solid, dark black peppered with beautiful blue flecks.  I've also noticed
that one of the males is unusually large while the others are incrementally
smaller.  Perhaps there is some form of pecking order that's established
when there is more than one male? OTOH, they could be males from different
spawns!

BTW, one word of warning.  Before the spring I had 3 ghost shrimp in the
tank to help control algae.  When I started feeding the juveniles on Daphnia
I was suprised to see the shrimp actually swim and pick off live Daphnia
from the water column for food.  Wonder where they learned that from?  It
pains me to think of how many fry I could have now if the shrimp had not
been in the tank!

Darren Gill
Carmel, IN