Re: NANFA-- Re: FW: ENDANGERED PALLID STURGEON RELEASED Editorial

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, mcclurg luke e wrote:

> and terrestrial (sp?) just so you have drinking water for cities that have
> no business being in the places where they've been built. i.e. Phoenix,
> Los Angeles and Los Vegas.  Folks, there's got's to be a better way...

Actually they were mostly built to tame the river so the water could be used
for irrigation and for power generation.  Basically, money controls the
Colorado R.  Everyone complains about LA and their green grass, however they
use less than 10% of the water that heads south as part of the Californian
Central Valley Project.  Most of the water is used for irrigation.
Interestingly, the crops that use the most water have the lowest economic
returns.....go figure.  Subsidies are a great thing aren't they!!  If anyone
hasn't seen the video series Cadillac Desert I'd strong recommend it to you.
It is fascinating viewing of water development in the West.

> Last I heard, the Colorado wasn't even making it to the Sea of Cortez in
> most years.  Don't know if that's accurate...but I believe it.

It is accurate.

Tootles
Peter Unmack

Follow-Ups: References: