Re: Brook silversides

Observations seem right on target, so far. Have a couple of suggestions
you might want to try.  First, place a bunch of plants in the white
bucket (suspect that black might make them freak out). Second, place
some water conditioner, such as Stress Coat, AquaSafe, etc., in the
water.  Third,  add some live food such as Daphnia to the tank along
with the fish, then cover the tank with a towel to reduce light levels
for 24 hours. Suggest that having other fish in the tank may stress the
silversides as they won't know what the other fish may do - watching
them eat the smaller silversides is probably not overly reassuring to
them. As you noticed, once they get acclimated (i.e., stress levels
return to normal) , they do OK, which is consistent with Dave Hall's
observations.