Re: Plants for a shiner tank

I fully agree with you here on UGFs.  They provide fair filtration, but
IMNHO, just not enough to warranb their use.  They're far too much hassle
to be worth it, especially with plants, breeding fish, and fish that like
to dig.
Hornwort, IME, has been diffiocult to grow.  It generally just falls
apart, poluting the water badly, and leaving its "needles" all over the
place.
 ><>
J. L. Wiegert                            NFC at actwin_com List Admin
Come Chat at SomeThing Fishy             To join: Send e-mail to
Telnet to:                               nfc-request at actwin_com with
Nexus.V-Wave.Com, port 7000              the command 'subscribe' in
                                         the body.  To leave, use
www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/2308  'unsubscribe'.
 Dubotchugh yIpummoH.                      bI'IQchugh Yivang!

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, D. Martin Moore wrote:

> > Hi all,
> > 	I am about to setup a tank for some Redfin Shiners. I bought this
> > tank used with a UGF. I plan to add at least 1.5 inches of gravel on top
> > of the UGF and grow some plants. Any suggestions on what kind of plants to
> > get for the tank? I would prefer native species which I are available from
> > Arizona Aquatic Gardens (planning to split an order w/a friend soon).
> >
> > 	I am thinking Cabomba, Watersprite, Vals. What else?
>
> Sajjad,
>
> Cabomba and Val require very bright light.  Much more than you will
> get from the hood that probably came with your tank.  UGF's are not
> too good with rooted plants either, because then you can't add
> laterite to the gravel.  I would suggest spatterdock in small pots
> with a little soil at the bottom.  It's native and does well in low
> light.  There are also native(?) Echinodrus in Florida and
> South Georgia.  Waterprite in its floating form is good too, but it
> will overshadow your bottom plants.  Hornwort is very easy to grow in
> almost any light.  It floats below the surface.  Duckweed is easy
> too, but not too attractive.
>

> Prost,
>
> Martin

> Greater American Freshwater Fishes Resource Site (GAFFeRs):  http://www.localink4.com/~archimedes/
>
> "Fie on thee, fellow!  Whence come these fishes?" - Scheherazade
>
> "Any fish with good teeth is liable to use them." - Wm. T. Innes

Follow-Ups: References: