Re: Plants for a shiner tank

Sajjad Lateef wrote:

>>Hi all,
I am about to setup a tank for some Redfin Shiners. I bought this
tank used with a UGF. I plan to add at least 1.5 inches of gravel on
top
of the UGF and grow some plants. Any suggestions on what kind of
plants to
get for the tank<<

Well my first love is Aquatic Plants but I am far from an expert. On
the aquatic plants mailing list the following just came in from Karen
Randall on a similair question. She is what I would call an expert in
Aquatic Plants.

One other thing, if you can, loose the UGF. The plant roots will get
in the plate and make a mess. Some folks grow plants with UGF but they
are not recommended. Plain gravel is not the best substrate but plants
will grow in it. You might want to add a little fertilizer every once
in a while.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm more than willing to tell you the limited list of what grows well
in my
water without strong light and supplemental CO2, but I think the list
varies greatly depending on your exact tap water parameters.  It also
varies for me depending on the substrate.

<snip>

In _general_ we find that the plants people are most likely to succeed
with
in low light (below 2w/g) tanks without supplemental CO2 are:

Anubias
Java Fern
Java Moss
Water Sprite
Cryptocoryne wendtii (some other commercially propagated Crypts as
well)
Salvinia
Hornwort

Depending on water chemistry and substrate, I'd add the following, and
most
of these will grow reasonably well at 2w/g and minimal CO2
supplementation
under many water conditions:

Bolbitis
Rotala rotundifolia
Hygrophila polysperma
H. difformis
Bacopa monnieri
Valisneria sp.
Sagitaria sp.
Echinodorus sp.
Ambulia sp.
Myriophyllum sp.

I'm sure I've forgotten some, but off the top of my head, this is a
list of
plants that I consider pretty safe for beginners to choose from with a
strong possibility of success.  Once the tank is established and
growing
well, you can afford to experiment with other species that might or
might
not do well under low-moderate light conditions.  As always, YMMV.
What's
"easy" for one experienced aquatic gardener to grow, might be the
nemesis
of another.<g>

<From Karen Randall>

Hope this helps some!

Jeff <*\\><
"Consider carefully what you hear", he continued "With the measure you
use it, it will be measured to you -- and even more.  Whoever has will
be given more; whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken
from him." Mark 4:24,25
www.airnet.net/kudzu/ "Kudzu's Christian Clipart Collection"