Re: Tank repair

From the description this is an older tank. 4-piece top frames were
once common.  That was way before they started using tempered glass.
The glass was in fact thicker than you see on most tanks today.

The frame doesn't provide any structural support.  It is there for
looks and to keep water from creeping over the edge, and to provide a
ledge for a hood.  You should silicone the frame pieces to the glass;
that keeps the water from creeping.

> I have put together a great many all glass aquariums with no frame at all.
> The silicone definitely holds the tank together.  If you glass is too thin it
> might pull apart, (not enough surface area for the silicone to hole on too)
> but then you risk a pressure crack in the glass. If you are having this
> problem all I can think of is you might have a tank made of tempered glass,
> because tempered is stronger than regular glass it can be thinner, but then
> you have to have a frame to hold it together, if this is the case your only
> recourse is to contact the manufacturer and get a new frame, the ones of this
> type I have seen the frame is one piece molded  plastic and can't be glued
> back together after it is broken.  I have ordered new frames from the
> manufacturer.  They don't cost much, but I like the thicker glass held
> together with silicone, much stronger and less likely to leak.

> ichael

Prost,

Martin

Greater American Freshwater Fishes Resource Site (GAFFeRs):  http://www.localink4.com/~archimedes/

"Fie on thee, fellow!  Whence come these fishes?" - Scheherazade

"Any fish with good teeth is liable to use them." - Wm. T. Innes